February 17, 2013

Lent 2013 :: Day 4 ~ Cure Those Winter Blues

{Note: I had technical difficulties with my Internet yesterday while I was traveling...Enjoy}

Happy Saturday, Sweets!!

As I posted yesterday, I totally have Spring Fever!! But when The Hubbs and I woke up this morning to get our day started with me heading to the airport and The Hubbs heading to Baytown, the 29* cold air made me realize February is still considered Winter. Waa Waa!!

With that realization, I know the one thing to cure these Winter Blues... Cookin' up some Don't Be a Chicken Chili! A good chili or soup always makes Winter seem so much more delightful or more bearable...haha!!

You can either click on then link above to my Pinterest page for the recipe or check it out on Sweet Home South...

{Don't Be A Chicken Chili}

Serves 6 guests. Enjoy this recipe from Gooseberry Patch Halloween Cookbook!!

Whatcha Need

1 T. oil

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed

1 onion, chopped

14-oz. can chicken broth

2 (15.8-oz.) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed

2 (4-1/2 oz.) cans chopped green chiles

1-1/2 t. garlic powder

1 t. salt

1 t. ground cumin

1/2 t. dried oregano

8-oz. container sour cream

1 c. whipping cream

2 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Cookin' Time

~ Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat & Add chicken and onion

~ Saute 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through; set aside

~ Combine broth, beans, undrained chiles and seasonings in a large Dutch oven

~ Bring to a boil over medium-high heat & Add chicken mixture

~ Reduce heat & Simmer for 30 minutes

~ Add sour cream and whipping cream, stirring well

~ Top each serving with shredded cheese

I have a few homemade changes & helpful notes:

*I do not use beans. Per The Hubbs and my request we are anti-bean chili peeps!!

*Instead of sautéing my chicken, I boil the chicken breasts first, cube each breast & then sauté with the onions.

*I always make this recipe times 2. The recipe notes it feeds 6 guests, but everyone always wants seconds, and it is. Great chili to freeze and reheat.

*The consistency of this chili is more soup-like. So don't fret because the taste sure is pleasing to the palette!!

I hope this delish dish warms your soul & belly!!

Enjoy Sweets!!

{P.S. ~ Get excited about Sweet Home South Posts for the next couple of days. My weekend is filled with celebrating my most amazing Kristie B. & Bradley, so I will be blogging from the Nation's Capitol in Washington, D.C. for the next couple of days!!}

 

No comments:

Post a Comment